Wednesday, June 26, 2019

A #Story for #children from #Ramayana on the strange request of Sage Vishwamitra #ChildrenStories 4



After finishing their learning at the gurukul, Rama and his brothers returned to the palace.

 Maharaja Dashrath and his queens were delighted. They poured affection and love on the children and were enjoying their company to the maximum.

One day, Sage Vishwamitra arrived in Ayodhya. Maharaja Dashrath went personally to receive and welcome him to his kingdom. He washed Vishwamitra’s feet in reverance and accompanied him to the palace. Sage Vasishta who was present, also stood up reverently and welcomed  Vishwamitra Maharishi.

“Oh revered Maharishi Vishwamitra! Your sacred feet have enhanced the honour of our country. Your respected presence in our palace has made the entire Ayodhya sacred,” said Maharaja Dashrath, while welcoming the Sage into the palace court.

Vishwamitra acknowledged the respectful welcome of the King.

After ensuring that the Sage had been seated comfortably, the King went up to him and enquired, “Tell me, what can I do for you?”

“Are you sure that you will give me what I want?” asked Vishwamitra.

“If it is in my capacity, I promise that I will offer you whatever you require,” answered Dashrath.

“I will not take no for an answer anyway,” said the Sage. “I want Rama and Lakshmana to accompany me to the forest. We are doing yagnas for the wellbeing of the world, but there are two demons who disrupt our yagnas. I need Rama and Lakshmana to defeat those demons so that we can complete our yagnas in peace.”

Maharaja Dashrath was stunned. He had never expected such a request from the Sage. The children had just come back home after a few years of stay and learning at the gurukul. How could he part with his beloved Rama again? How would the queen mothers take it? Dashrath mind was floundering for an answer to the Sage.

Vishwamitra waited for a few seconds. Then he got up and said angrily, “Maharaja Dashrath, I thought you were a man who stood by his word. You promised me that you would give me what I want. Then why are you not answering?”

Dashrath pleaded with the Sage, “Maharishi, Rama and Lakshmana are too young to fight with demons. Let me accompany you and I assure you that I will fight with those demons. I will see that you are allowed to perform your yagnas in peace.”

The Sage refused to listen. “I don’t want you. I want Rama and Lakshmana. If you cannot give them, let me leave. I don’t want anything else,” he exclaimed angrily.

Knowing the effect of the anger of Sage Vishwamitra, Vasishta came forward.
“Maharaja Dashrath, You speak like this because you are not aware of the real caliber of Rama and Lakshmana. As a Guru, I can vouch for their exceptional power and capability. And though I have taught them whatever I could, by being with Brahmarishi Vishwamitra, who has so much more knowledge to impart and so many divine asthras in his repertoire, they can acquire much more gyaan.”

Listening to the words of his Kulaguru Vasishta, Dashrath gave in and sent for Rama and Lakshmana. 

Vishwamitra was waiting for this moment when he could set his eyes on the Lord. When Rama and Lakshmana came in, Vishwamitra drew in his breath. They were looking so innocent, so handsome.

“Father, you called for us?” asked Rama softly.

Dashrath’s eyes were moist. “Yes. I called for you both. This is Sage Vishwamitra,” he said.

The boys folded their palms and greeted the Sage with respect.

“My dear sons,” said Dashrath. “Maharishi Vishwamitra wants you both to accompany him to the forest and protect his yagna from demons.”

“That will be a blessing for us,” said Rama.

Vishwamitra looked at them with great affection.

 The queens by then had heard of Vishwamitra’s strange request. They came running to plead with the Sage to allow the boys to remain in the palace. But Rama managed to placate them.

Dashrath said, “Rama, Lakshmana! From now, till you come back here, Maharishi Vishwamitra will be  your father, mother and Guru.  Follow his orders as you would follow mine.”

“Yes Father,” answered both Rama and Lakshmana.

They slung their bows over their shoulders and the quiver of arrows on their backs and followed the Sage into the forest.

#Vishwamitra #Rama #Lakshmana #Dashrath #Vasishta #Ramayana

No comments:

Post a Comment